Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Some thoughts on the NHL lockout.

When the league was shut down way back on September 15, 2004, I firmly believed that I would suffer incredible withdrawal from lack of sports on the tube. I followed the lockout intensely reading every article, dreaming up solutions, weighing the evidence. Then I discovered that I don’t matter to the NHL or the NHLPA and simultaneously I discovered that there is plenty of other horrible programming that can replace the utter boredom of watching regular season hockey.

To wit, I have taken up watching an extraordinary number of television shows aided by the technological developments in the file-sharing world and the magic of the Digital Video Recorder (DVR). As it stands now, I watch (non exhaustive list):CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI:NY, Law and Order, Law and Order:CI, Law and Order: SVU, Medium, Numbers, Jonny Zero, Everwood, Smallville, Boston Legal, Jack and Bobby, House, 24, West Wing, Medical investigation, Desperate Housewives.

During the last few months, I have found myself cheering for different characters, throwing things at the TV when they do something I disagree with, and ordering a pizza and beer for specific programs.

If the players and owners believe that diehard hockey fans cannot and will not adapt to the reality of no NHL, they are sorely mistaken. If one compares hockey fans to crack addicts, similarities in behavior begin to emerge. Both are likely to be irrational when it comes to the subject of the their addiction; it is likely that at some point in time they both will conduct themselves in violent manner; both are likely to overpay for the next fix; both will look for other means to get high before giving up their addictions.

Well far from eliminating my TV addiction I have just moved on to other programming, which although not a perfect substitute still provides the needed excuse in order to justify many hours of life wasted watching pixels dance around the screen. My new dream is not Edmonton winning the Stanley Cup or a return of the ice gladiators; rather it is seeing those pixels dance on a plasma stage to the tune of Dolby digital 7.1.


1 Comments:

Blogger job opportunitya said...

Awesome blog. I'm loving the site and I have to
return there soon! Going online, when I have the time,
I look for blogs close to your work!
Please proceed to my home mortgage loan blog when you find the time.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home